Monday, June 22, 2009

Humility

June 22, 2009 Monday
Wow is it hot!! It's summer time in Alabama!!
Tomorrow Melissa, Gloria and I will be going to Addison. Melissa's, PawPaw Powell, past away Sunday morning. As I briefly mentioned yesterday, he was one of the most humble men I have ever met. I wasn't around him very much. We would go and visit he and Mrs. Powell at Christmas time each year. We would sit at kitchen table in their small home in Addison and talk about everything under the sun. I always look forward to visiting the Powell's at Christmas. There home reminded me of my own grandparents in some ways. For one thing it was 85 degrees in the kitchen, just like home. However, the thing that stood out to me the most was the humility this man walked in, it was incredible. You could tell from the minute you met him, that he was genuine, the real deal. He opened up his home to me as if he had known me for many years. He always had kind words to say about the people we talked about, no matter what the situation or circumstance they were being talked about. He always asked about my family even though he had never met them. I felt at complete ease and peace around Mr. Powell. He was a humble man through and through. I learned from him the power of humility and how it gave him peace right up to the end. I hope that people will one day say that I am a humble man just like Mr. Powell.

No comments:

Post a Comment